Your Privacy Rights
Effective January 1, 2004, organizations engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (the “Act”).
The Company is responsible for the personal information we collect, use, maintain and disclose. To ensure this accountability, we have developed this policy, and trained our staff about our policies and practices.
What is “personal information”?
Personal information is any information that identifies you, or by which your identity could be deduced. It does not include your name, business address, business title, professional designation(s) or business telephone number.
Why do we collect personal information from you?
We collect your personal information to provide products and services and to support core business functions. (e.g., order or service fulfillment, internal business processes, marketing and advertising, authentication, loss and fraud prevention, public safety and legal functions).
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible we collect personal information directly from you, but we may also obtain information about you from other sources.
For example, we collect your information from the following sources:
· Information you give us, such as during customer service operations, surveys, and online registrations,
· Information from other sources, such as companies that help us to update our records, and
· Information automatically collected when you visit our websites, such as via cookies.
We may offer you the opportunity to engage with our content on or through third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications. When you engage with our content this way, you may allow us to have access to certain information associated with your social media account, (e.g., name, username, e-mail address, picture) to deliver the content or as part of the operation of the website, plug-in or application. We may use this information to confirm your identity and to personalize your experience on our website and on the third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications.
In most cases, we shall ask you to provide explicit consent, if we collect, use, maintain or disclose your personal information. Normally, we ask for your consent in writing, but in some circumstances, we may accept your verbal consent. Sometimes, your consent may be implied through your conduct with us.
Use of Your Information
As noted above, the Company uses your information to offer and provide our products and services and to support our core business functions. These include order or service fulfillment, internal business processes, marketing, authentication, loss and fraud prevention, public safety and legal functions. Some examples include:
· To fulfill your requests for products and services and communicate with you about those requests;
· To register and service your account;
· To administer surveys, sweepstakes, contests, and promotions;
· To provide customer service and alert you to product information, including recalls;
· To help us improve and customize our service offerings, websites, and advertising;
· To send you information about our products, services, and promotions; and
· To protect the security or integrity of our websites and our business.
To accomplish these purposes, we may combine personal and non-personal information we collect online with offline information, including information from third parties. We may transfer or disclose your information within our corporate family of companies for these purposes.
If you tell us that you no longer wish to receive information about our services, we will not send any further material.
The Company does not disclose your personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
Under certain circumstances, the Company will disclose your personal information:
· when we are required our authorized by law to do so, for example if a court issues a subpoena;
· when you have consented to the disclosure;
· when the services we are providing to you require us to give your information to a third party your consent will be implied, unless you tell us otherwise;
· where it is necessary to establish or collect amounts owed to us;
· if the information is already publicly known.
Updating Your Information
Since we use your personal information to provide services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date.
If any of your information changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes.
Is My Personal Information Secure?
The Company takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
· premises security;
· restricted file access to personal information;
· deploying technological safeguards such as security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access;
· internal password and security policies.
Access to Your Personal Information
You may ask for access to any personal information we hold about you.
Summary information is available on request. More detailed requests which require archive or other retrieval costs may be subject to our normal professional and disbursement fees.
If the Company holds information about you and if you can establish that it is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, the Company will take reasonable steps to correct it.
Can I be Denied Access to My Personal Information?
Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute.
We may deny access when:
· denial of access is required or authorized by law;
· when granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy;
· to protect our firm’s rights and property;
· where the request is frivolous or vexatious.
If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct information, we shall explain why.
The Company does not use your Social Insurance Number as a way of identifying or organizing the information we hold about you.
To help us make credit decisions about our customers, prevent fraud, check the identity of new customers and prevent money-laundering, we may on occasion, request information about you from the files of consumer reporting agencies.
How Long do you Keep my Personal Information?
We keep your personal information as long as is reasonably necessary for us to complete our dealings with you, or as may be required by law, whichever is longer.
Communicating with Us
You should be aware that email is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
Request for Access
If you have any questions, or wish to access your personal information, please write to our Privacy Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Although the Act does not apply to our employee information, we have elected to follow privacy “best practices” in this area. If you apply to the Company for a job, we need to consider your personal information, as part of our review process. We normally retain information from candidates after a decision has been made, unless you ask us not to retain the information. If we offer you a job, which you accept, the information will be retained with our privacy procedures for employee records.
On our website, like most other commercial websites, we may monitor traffic patterns, site usage and related site information in order to optimise our web service. We may provide aggregated information to third parties, but these statistics do not include any identifiable personal information.
Contacting the Privacy Officer
Please feel free to contact the Privacy Officer with any questions or comments about this policy or about how your information is handled by email at email@example.com or by mail to the Privacy Officer c/o Talize, 67 Alexdon Rd, North York, ON, M3J 2B5.
Effective: May 15, 2017